The Governors are responsible for 3 core functions:
- Setting the strategic direction
- Holding leaders to account for the educational performance of the school and
- Ensuring financial health, probity and value for money.
What does the Governing Body do?
Governors are responsible for a number of areas including attainment, finance, policies and procedures. Their role involves working closely with the Headteacher and Senior Leadership Team to ensure children get the best possible education to enable them to reach their full potential, in an environment where they feel safe, valued and where learning is fun.
Their main functions are to:
- Help set the aims and objectives for the school
- Help ensure the policies and procedures are relevant and achieve their objectives
- Set targets to monitor the progress of the school to ensure it is meeting its aims and objectives
- Be a critical friend to the school and provide a source of challenge and support
The Governing Body has 3 sub-committees; Achievement & Curriculum, Staffing & Finance, and Health & Safety. Other working groups may be set up when needed to address or discuss particular issues or research a particular area and report back to the full governing body.
The overall purpose of the Achievement & Curriculum Committee is to:
- Monitor the standards pupils achieve, making sure they make at least expected progress and that the school is at least in line Nationally.
- Monitor the school's success in promoting inclusion
- Ensure that the school development plan is focused on appropriate priorities for raising standards at the school
- Ensure that policies are reviewed on a regular basis to promote improved standards
- Advise the Governing Body of the school's curriculum policies and oversee the National Curriculum statutory obligations are met.
- Contribute to, monitoring and evaluating parts of the self-evaluation summary, the school development plan and policies relating to resources issues, reporting or making recommendations to the full Governing Body
The overall purpose of the Staffing & Finance Committee is to:
- Formally approve the annual school budget at the start of each financial year.
- Monitor purchasing and authorise purchases above a set amount.
- Monitor income and expenditure at regular intervals.
- Act as personnel and authorise staff pay rises in-line with the school's pay policy.
- Audit accounts and act on the schools audit action plan.
- Agree the staffing structure with the Head Teacher
The overall purpose of the Headteacher Performance Management Working Group is to carry out the Governing Body's statutory responsibilities for the Performance Management of the Headteacher.
The overall purpose of the Health & Safety Committee is to:
- Adopt the H&S policy appropriate to the needs of the whole school.
- Provide support and guidance for the Head Teacher and Site Manager on all matters relating to the school premises and grounds, security and H&S.
- Inspect the premises and grounds with the Site Manager termly and prepare a statement for the committee.
- Ensure the school complies with H&S regulations, seeking external advice if necessary.
- Complete the Accessibility plan for the school in consultation with either the Site Manager or Head Teacher.
- To review and agree arrangements for school meals